Thursday, June 11, 2009

Guilty (TV) Pleasures

I have to admit that ever since TiVo and DVR were invented, I have become a reality television whore. The freedom that recording programs gives you is undeniable and extraordinary. In fact, I truly believe that I should be a spokesperson for the service. Not to mention being able to fast forward through commercials... oh, I am in love! So, in turn, I watch everything from food shows like Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen to talent competitions like American Idol to So You Think You Can Dance, and even embarrassing shows like The Real Housewives of New York City/New Jersey/Orange County...



The most recent addiction is one that is so humiliating that it is even difficult for me to type, but its... I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! Ok, I know what you are thinking, but just to explain, there wasn't anything on, and I watched the first show... and well, the rest is history. In synopsis, this show is about a handful of "has been" celebrities left in the jungles of Costa Rica and participate in competitions for food and luxury items. The "celebrities" include a couple Baldwin brothers, the guy from La Bamba, some wrestler chick, a couple of idiots from 'The Hills' (whatever the hell that is), a retired NBA player, wife of an impeached Illinois Governor, ex-American Idol contestent (Sanjaya) and Janice Dickerson (the self-proclaimed first "supermodel"). This show is a train wreck. On the up side they do this for charity. Just a couple of observations I have made...

1. What the hell is up with Janice's face? Is it just too much plastic surgery or too many skin treatments? I mean she looks like her face is a red balloon. So wierd. And she is really disgusting. Besides urinating in camp, she chews with her mouth wide open, and for a supermodel, surprisingly eats a lot - more than her share.

2. I actually love Sanjaya. On American Idol he drove me crazy, but on this show he is like a little Jungle Boy and he is really the most normal, besides Patty

3. Speaking of Patty (Blagojevich), I really would like to see her go far. I know the probablilty of her winning is slim, but it seems that she is there for the right reasons, and cares about her family.

4. I won't get into the whole Hills scenario, but Heidi and Spencer are the strangest couple I have ever seen, and I am shocked that people actually watch their show - that coming from a person that is actually watching "I'm a Celebrity..Get me out of Here!"



Another addiction is Jon and Kate plus Eight. I have seen almost all of the episodes (it started with a Jon and Kate marathon in my 9th month of pregnancy) and I just love this show. There is a lot of controversy regarding this show right now. With the paprazzi following them around, apparently Jon has made some unwise decisions (out all night with women--who knows) and now their marriage is on the rocks. Not to say Kate is completely innocent. She has a tendency to be a little degrading towards him, but I think its just her personality. There is also some talk about exploiting their children (sextuplets and a set of twins) - I personally think that is ridiculous, but I'm not there 24/7, but neither are the cameras from what I understand.

All in all I really am rooting for them, and hope that they survive, even if that means they stop filming.



So hands down, So You Think You Can Dance is my favorite reality show of all time. SOOOO much better than that other dancing show that I don't even want to mention. These kids are so freaking talented it will blow your mind. They make their bodies do the impossible. Even a person who isn't into dance will love this show. It is amazing.

There is one drawback to this show though, after watching it, I tend to think that I can actually do the moves too, and find myself pretending to be a hip hop artist or a ballerina for a good 2 days afterward, usually in the kitchen while I am preparing meals.

I think I pulled something last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment