Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Playgroups



"Mommy and Me" replacement terms:

Martini Mamas

Postpartum Party

Tequila and Tots or, even

Babes and Babies?






When I first moved to Tampa I realized that I was going to have to take matters into my own hands in order to meet people. Since I was not really actively working and able to meet people through my career, I was going to have to be creative to find people. I went onto http://www.meetup.com/ and searched for mommy groups. A site I had used previously for finding clients and other hospitality professionals, and I was looking for mom groups?! Even typing it now, it is shocking. I never thought I would look for playdates - especially on the internet! Anyway, I found a local group and figured I would go to the next meetup. It was at Applebees. The first thought I had was Happy Hour! I could use a drink. I haven't had a drink for months. Isn't that what moms do that stay home? I mean, that's what's on TV, so it must be true, right? WRONG! Apparently drinking out with a child is frowned upon. It must have something to do with driving home. I'm not looking to get trashed, I'm just interested in having a small cocktail. Anyway, aside from the lack of alcohol, the group was nice. In fact, I have attended other "meetups" since, and have enjoyed all of them.

Community is important. Being part of something that is larger than you and your immediate surroundings is important. It may be a career, a church, a neighborhood, or even a playgroup.

No comments:

Post a Comment