Friday, May 8, 2009

Promises, Promises...

I've been thinking about creating an ongoing list of promises that I intend to make to my children. A list that I will, undoubtedly, need to revisit frequently. I will probably forget one or two of these promises in the midst of a "debate" (a.k.a. blowout argument) when my children are teenagers - or maybe sooner.

When most women get pregnant, there is the universal thought of: "I will be better than my parents". Personally, my parents weren't bad at all - but as a mother, as any mother no doubt, you want to improve upon the concept of "mother". At some point we should get it right - which I guess will be virtually impossible since we are human. I am sure that every mother wants this for her child, though, to be better than the generation previously. I think in concentrating on the things they did wrong, we forget about what was right. So, hence, the list. To try and remember the simple things that my parents did correctly (in my opinion) and the things I want to improve upon.

I promise...

  • ...to support you. This does not mean financially. I'm not going to always buy you the latest and greatest fashion or gadget, but I promise you that when it counts, I will support you.

  • ...to say I'm sorry when I am wrong, which I am sure I will be (once or twice).

  • ...to be honest with you. Now this is a little tricky since it will have to be age appropriate, but my hopes are that you will know that I'll speak truthfully when you need to hear it, and not keep secrets (this excludes Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy at least for a little while).

  • ...to always do the best I can at being your mom. This may not (and probably won't) always be good enough at the time, but in the end, I hope it will be.

  • ...to enjoy and treasure the small things, the tiny moments that only you and I share.

  • ...to try and create as many of those special moments as possible.

  • ...to show you that the best things in life are really free - and that's not some dumb saying.

  • ...to speak with you, instead of at you.

  • ...to try and expose you to as much of the world and it's beauties, as well as imperfections, as possible.

  • ...to be optimistic - or at least try REALLY hard!

  • ...to remember that you are your own person, and I don't own you. You are free to be, and I won't try to control you - ever.

  • ...to teach you about trust and how important your word is.

  • ...to nurture your opinions and your individual thoughts, even if they differ from mine.
  • ...to teach you to respect, not only others, but yourself as well.

  • ...to help you understand that being a part of this family makes you special.

  • and most importantly, I promise to love you - no matter what.

There are many more, I'm sure, but that's all I've got for now. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment!

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment